From easter to October: That’s the rule of thumb for the seasonal tire change.
The sooner car drivers arrange a date for the tire changeover, the more relaxed it will be, advises the german ADAC automobile club. Because the chance of getting a free appointment is then higher.
First, make sure that the running surfaces of the tires still have sufficient tread depth (at least 1.6 millimeters by law). Nevertheless, it is not good to run the tires down to this minimum tread depth. Experts recommend that the tread depth should not be less than 4 mm in winter and not less than 3 mm in summer. If checked, the most worn section is the one that counts.
That's why you should check as many areas of the tread surface as possible. If you have your tires changed in a garage, balancing is definitely recommended: Imbalance due to small impacts or knocks on curbs are not uncommon. The tires can run without vibration thanks to balancing. If this is not observed, the wear and tear on the entire vehicle could increase. How old the tires are plays a role too:
The age of the tires is also decisive for the braking and drive quality. The four-digit DOT number on the sidewall near the tire rim tells you the month and year of production.
After about six years, the rubber compound is too hard; the grip might deteriorate at lower temperatures.
Wheel Hub Paste is a synthetic, metal-free separating paste primarily developed to prevent the seizing or rusting of the rims on the wheel hubs. If used properly, the outstanding adhesion prevents spinning even at high rotational speeds. The product can also be used for lubricating screw connections or repair and maintenance work to the braking systems. And this is how it is used:
- First remove coarse contamination, oxidation layers or rust to the contact surfaces, joints or thread with a wire brush or with the help of an emery cloth.
- Then clean parts with the quick cleaner. After evaporation of the solvent, paint the cleaned areas with Wheel Hub Paste.
- Note: Do not apply Wheel Hub Paste to the friction surface of the brake pads or brake discs!
Changing wheels is the ideal opportunity to clean the rims of the summer or winter wheels again before they are stored away. As along with dirt from the road, braking dust containing metal gets stuck to the protective coating of the wheels. With our Special Rim Cleaner, we offer a product that works quickly, simply and reliably:
It intensively cleans persistent dirt to bring back the shine to your wheel arches. It contains no acids, is biodegradable and thus environmentally friendly. Using it is simple:
- Spray Special Rim Cleaner onto the dirty rims. Leave for around 5 to 7 minutes depending on the degree of contamination.
- Once the cleaner has turned purple, it has reached its ideal cleaning effect. Use a sponge or brush for extremely persistent dirt.
- Thoroughly rinse off the released dirt using a strong water jet.
Its effectiveness was confirmed by, for example, the specialist magazine auto motor und sport in issue 21 on 09/28/2017:
With 88 points out of 100, our product achieved second place in the rim cleaner test and was convincing not least because of its attractive price.